Mathematics and Science
An overview of mathematics and science at Fort Hunt.
Students receive math and science instruction in one block of their day. For immersion students, this is their block that is delivered in Spanish.
Fort Hunt Elementary helps students develop a conceptual understanding of math.
We create a strong sense of mathematical awareness through the use of:
- use of the workshop model in all math classrooms
- small group instruction
- Number Talks
- math tasks that provide problem solving opportunities
- academic conversations
- real-life mathematical connections and experiences
- building in opportunities for student choice
We strive for our students to receive deeper understanding of science concepts through:
- inquiry based instruction
- hands-on experiments
- collaborative learning structures
- integration across content areas